Adapted from Indulgence Petits Fours 
Makes 50 cookies
1 cup (250g) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup (60g) icing sugar
Finely grated orange zest from 1 orange
1 egg yolk
1 tbs brandy (I omitted this)
1/2 cup (55g) ground almond meal
1/4 cup (40g) almonds, toasted and finely chopped
2 1/2 cups (310g) plain flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder, sifted
Extra icing sugar, for dusting
- Cream the butter, sugar and orange zest in a medium bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolk and brandy and beat until combined.
- Fold the ground and chopped almonds, flour and baking powder into butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Gather together and wrap in cling wrap. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 160C (315F). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Shape a tablespoonful of the mixture into crescents or balls using lightly floured hands.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until pale golden.
- Cool on trays for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely (remember: don’t do what I did and grabbed it straight off the tray as it’s still fragile and broke).
- While still warm, dust with sifted icing sugar.
- Just before serving, heavily drench the cookies with icing sugar.