Adapted from here 
Makes one 22cm (9 inch) cake
125g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup milk
100g roasted almonds, roughly chopped
2 pears, cut roughly into 2cm cubes
- Preheat oven to 160C (320F). Grease and line a round cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat butter, caster sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Gently fold in flour, milk and half the almonds.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Scatter clumps of brown sugar over the entire surface of the cake batter and sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Push chunks of pears throughout the batter and gently press all the topping into the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cake is cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before allowing it to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with custard.