Makes about 20 pieces
30g fresh yeast or 2 tsp (7g) dried yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, lightly whisked
25g soft butter; melted
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup nuts; finely chopped
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
For the dough
- Combine the water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl and stir until combined. Set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes until frothy.
- Heat the milk and butter on low heat until butter has melted. Take off the heat to cool slightly (until warm).
- Place flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the yeast and milk mixtures with the egg into the well and mix until well combined.
- Transfer dough onto a floured surface and knead the dought for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough into it. Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
For the filling
- Place the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix until combined.
For the sugar syrup
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Turn the heat up to medium and let the mixture bubble for about 2 minutes. Take off the heat.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to a 30 x 40cm rectangle (about 1cm thick).
- Brush the melted butter over the top of the dough (reserve some to brush over the scrolls) and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts on top and use a rolling pin to slightly roll over the top of the dough.
- Starting from the long side, roll the dough up to form a sausage.
- Cut into 2cm slices.
- Roll slices until slightly flattened (about 1cm thick).
- Transfer scrolls to baking trays and cover with a tea towel.
- Set aside in warm place for 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 190C (370F).
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes until golden brown; alternating the two trays after 5 minutes.
- Remove from tray and place on wire rack (over newspaper) to cool.
- Brush the scrolls with syrup and serve.