Mid-week sweet cravings calls for something to be whipped up quickly without any fuss. I had some homemade candied orange left over from this event, so I decided to make a cake out of it. My originally plans for these candied oranges was to cover them with chocolate so I can give away as gifts, but I’ll have to save that for another day. I love how the process of cooking the oranges in a syrup allows the rind to go soft, stickingly sweet and edible.
This was the first cake I made with Bellarossa. Did I tell you guys how much I love her yet? I loved being able to walk away to do other things while she whips up eggs with ease; in fact, it is so much better than doing it with a hand held mixer. The candied orange is blended and incorporated into the cake batter, I was a little worried that it wasn’t going to turn out and thought that the candied orange would sink but it turned out fine.
When it was time for me to turn the cake out onto a wire rack, a chunk of the cake remained on the tin so I decided to cover up the flaws with chocolate ganache. Mmm… The perfect crime. No one will ever know. Otherwise I was going to drizzle the cake with the orange syrup left over from the candied orange. I could imagine the use of this recipe to be used flexibly with other citrus fruits; how does a candied lime and coconut cake sound or how about a candied lemon sherbet cake?
To tell you the truth, for some reason I don’t tend to eat a lot of the desserts that I make. I always try to offload it to friends, workmates or rely on my huge family to consume it all. However, I had 3 slices of this cake. It was light but moist at the same time. I might have to grab that last slice… Mmm…
Adapted from Seasons by Donna Hay
Serves about 8-10
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
Candied orange cake
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour, sifted
150g butter, melted
1 cups (120g) almond meal (ground almond)
Chocolate orange ganache
1/4 cup orange syrup (from candied orange)
100mL thickened cream
100gm chocolate, roughly chopped (I used a 50% one)
For the candied orange
- Cut the orange in 1cm slices.
- Boil the water and sugar on medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the orange slices and keep on the heat for about 1 hour (check every 20-30minutes).
- Remove when orange pith is translucent; cool completely.
- Strain the orange syrup for ganache and reserve.
For the chocolate orange ganache
- Combine the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until chocolate melts.
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 160C (320F). Grease and lightly flour a 20cm cake tin.
- Blend the candied orange until smooth (or roughly chop up the candied orange if you don’t have a blender).
- Place eggs, sugar and vanilla into a bowl and whisk for about 10 minutes until mixture has thickened and tripled in volume.
- Fold the sifted flour into the egg mixture.
- Fold butter, almond meal and blended candied orange, until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45mins until skewer comes out clean when tested.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Pour ganache over the cake.